Partner – M&A | Private Equity
T 604 678 6026 E email@example.com
Year of Call: Ontario 2004 | B.C. 2005
Adam is an experienced M&A and private equity lawyer whose primary area of practice is the purchase and sale of private businesses spanning a wide range of industries, with enterprise values broadly ranging from several million dollars to several hundred million dollars. Focused on the middle market, Adam has advised on many Canada/US cross-border acquisitions as well as transactions all across Canada. Adam’s clients include business owners, investors, private companies, limited partnerships and private equity funds.
Prior to joining Mogan Daniels Slager LLP in 2015, Adam worked with the National Hockey League Players’ Association on salary arbitration matters and was a partner at a leading Vancouver law firm.
education & accreditation
McGill University (B.Com., 2001)
University of Toronto, Faculty of Law (J.D., 2004)
Law Society of British Columbia (2005)
areas of expertise
Mergers & Acquisitions
I had the pleasure of working with Adam for several months during the sale of some of the Knelson group of companies. Adam was our key lawyer and led the legal team for what was a very complex transaction. This involved the simultaneous amalgamation and sale of the assets and intellectual property of four companies located in Canada and Russia, then the subsequent wind-down and closure of those companies. Adam was a tireless, energetic and very effective part of our team during this transaction. The purchasing company was a multi-national public company that had a seasoned acquisitions team and a very sharp lawyer leading their negotiations. Adam stood his ground and showed very strong leadership during some very tough negotiations and made sure we were covered for all key liability concerns by the end of the process. I continue to use Adam's legal advice for other matters and will definitely have him leading my legal team on future M&A transactions.
Principal, Knelson Group of Companies
Adam recently represented us on a M&A transaction with an aggressive close schedule. Adam drove the process keeping all parties to the timeline by being very hands-on, capable, and extremely quick with responses to all closing documents. Most of all our team benefited from Adam’s expertise as he always took the time to draw our attention to high risk transaction related matters whether it be legal, operational, or financial; discussing the issue at hand and the potential implications in a simple manner. I would definitely use Adam again and recommend him to others.
General Manager, Fine Choice Foods Ltd.
We’ve partnered with MDS on a number of transactions, usually working with Nathan and Adam. The two work seamlessly together and form a talented and responsive team. We find their guidance on both technical and higher-level issues very useful. Highly recommended for those looking for reliable guidance in M&A transactions.
Partner, Yellow Point Equity Partners
We have worked with Adam on several of our M&A sell-side transactions and he has been excellent to deal with in every respect. His knowledge of the mergers and acquisitions process and all related legal matters that are involved is second to none. One of Adam's most noticeable attributes is his responsiveness. We have never worked with another professional who is as available and responsive as Adam. Whether we are working on a cross-border transaction, or have a complicated structure to execute, Adam is able to handle the situation with utmost competence. He is a valuable asset to Sequoia and we look forward to his expert assistance on many future transactions to come.
Partner, Sequoia Mergers & Acquisitions Corp.
Adam Dlin was recommended to me by my mergers and acquisitions team that was instrumental in the sale of my two companies. Adam was on the sales agreement from the onset and was very engaged in the process. Adam had a bit of work to do to clean up the minute books for the sale and it went very smoothly. Adam was very prompt, and attentive to all the details in preparing us for sale. The purchase agreement covered all our needs to ensure a clean sale and covered me in all the details. Adam was very clear, concise and prompt to all my questions and did not hesitate to raise any issues that needed clarification on my part. I would highly recommend Adam and his team for a professional job well done.
President, Westcan Industries Ltd. & Indu-Tech Enterprises Limited
When representing clients in a transaction process it is important to have experienced professionals who know where issues may arise and how to deal with them promptly. Having worked alongside Adam on a number of transactions he has clearly demonstrated these qualities through thinking ahead and leveraging his keen business sense to propose practical solutions in a timely manner. The speed and accuracy at which his team works provide a meaningful benefit to the momentum of a transaction.
Managing Director, KPMG Corporate Finance Inc.
I first came into contact with Adam when I had to negotiate my way out of an equity position with a group of partners where the shareholder agreement was null and void due to a technicality which Adam identified. Needless to say, this was not easy especially after a 10+ year business relationship. During this time, I was super impressed with Adam’s professionalism and calm objective demeanour. These situations can become personal and he ensured it did not all the while protecting my best interests. Since then, Adam has served as my company’s corporate counsel as we have grown through the years. I have come to trust his knowledge, his guidance and know he cares about us as a client. Anyone would be well served working with Adam.
Managing Partner, MacDonald Search Group
We have had the good fortune to work with Adam Dlin at MDS on a number of divestiture processes. Adam and the team at MDS are experienced M&A lawyers. Their deep knowledge of the law, practical experience in getting a deal done, and quick response time can make all the difference in successfully completing a transaction. We highly recommend them.
Partner, Smythe Advisory
Prompt. Accurate. Responsive. Succinct. Concise. Conscientious. These are the words that come to mind when thinking about my work with Adam over the past several years. We always feel extremely comfortable that all of the bases are covered. He responds to our concerns promptly and completes our work significantly faster than the solicitors our associates use. When he believes something will be better handled by another member of his team, he coordinates that work so that we always have the best and brightest talent working for us. I highly recommend his services.
President & CEO, J.T.M. Industries Incorporated
Adam’s legal work and advice has always been accurate and timely. His ability to see the big picture of any transaction is a valuable asset. I never worry that I’m missing anything if Adam has given me his overview of the situation and how to proceed. Thorough and practical. I like that.
Founder, ElectraMeccanica Vehicles Corp.
We have had the opportunity to work with Adam on several transactions. Adam's ability to keep a deal moving towards closing, his incredible attention to detail and his understanding of transaction-related legal issues is a huge asset to any advisory team. Adam seems to thrive under pressure and possesses a unique and remarkable ability to respond to complex issues quickly and thoroughly.
Partners, Walsh King, Chartered Professional Accountants
Adam knows our business very well for being an external advisor and he understands exactly what we need from our legal counsel. Adam is easy to deal with, extremely knowledgeable, available as needed and very efficient in looking after our global interest.
Chief Financial Officer, Weatherhaven Global Resources Ltd.
It is my real pleasure to provide to this testimonial for Adam. I have worked with Adam for over 10 years where he has guided us through a challenging sale, new company formation and subsequent corporate restructuring. Adam has a unique combination of excellent technical abilities, and great communication skills. Together these attributes helped push both sides in our deal to completion and guide us through a new company formation and corporate restructuring. Adam is a straight forward and clear communicator and his advice is always timely, pragmatic and client focused.
Principal & Managing Director, Broad Street Health Economics & Outcomes Research
As a young organization in a very competitive industry, Adam has provided the exceptional legal support en route to us becoming one of the fast growing hockey player agencies in North America. Adam’s ability to respond and proactively act at a moment’s notice has separated him from many other legal professionals. Over and above our corporate support, Adam assisted with quarterbacking my personal estate and tax planning. I would strongly recommend Adam to any organization looking for results and a competitive advantage in legal support.
CEO, CKM Sports Management Ltd.
Adam has done legal work for my family and me for the last few years. He is refreshingly prompt and efficient. He answers questions succinctly and concisely, options are explored and delineated as soon as possible with a view of the broad picture and goals. Adam is extremely conscientious, willing to go the extra mile to effect a successful outcome. He does not hesitate to recruit others with more particular expertise when necessary. Adam is engaging, enthusiastic and personable and it is reassuring to have Adam working with us. His staff is also efficient and personable.
Principal, Pensar Group of Companies
I have worked with Adam since 2014 on a number of different deals. His knowledge and expertise makes it easy to navigate with confidence and clarity, and against tight deadlines his prompt yet thorough approach is greatly appreciated. I highly recommend Adam.
Financial Advisor, Astaneh Wealth Management Inc.
Adam has been corporate lawyer since 2011 seeing us through from start up to our more mature stage today. His advice is high quality, value added and timely - we appreciate he takes time to understand our business.
Managing Director, Pinnacle Canada Fund Services Ltd.
Adam provided my companies with excellent advice expertly completing two restructurings and a launch of a start up ahead of deadlines.
Financial Advisor, Kotai Financial Management Inc.
- Sale of shares of ESC Automation to Ainsworth, a subsidiary of GDI Integrated Facility Services.
- Purchase by Noverra Capital of shares of Victory Fire Protection.
- Sale of shares of Waypoint Insurance Services to Navacord
- Investment by Yellow Point Equity Partners in Securiguard Services.
- Sale of shares of BRI Biopharmaceutical Research to Frontage Laboratories.
- Purchase by Fasteel Industries of shares of Titan Industrial Plate Processing.
- Purchase by Simetra Ventures of shares of Mantech Enterprises.
- Sale of shares of Westcan Industries and Indu-Tech Enterprises to the Smith Cameron Group.
- Purchase by Gladius Partners of shares of NDL Industries.
- Purchase by Foley’s Candies Limited Partnership of assets of Brockmann’s Chocolates.
- Investment by Alder Bay Equity Partners in Foster’s Agri-World.
- Investment by the Promerita Group in Zest Communities.
- Purchase by Sedulus Capital of shares of Fasteel Industries.
- Sale of shares of Fine Choice Foods to Swander Pace Capital.
- Purchase by CopperTree Analytics of shares of BuildPulse.
- Sale of partnership units of Shanahan’s LP to Speyside Equity.
- Purchase by Noverra Capital of shares of Troy Concrete Forming and Denver Caisson Drilling.
- Sale of shares of Prairie Mushrooms to Highline Mushrooms.
- Investment by Yellow Point Equity Partners in Canadian Appliance Source.
- Investment by Alder Bay Equity Partners in Coniston Products.
- Sale of shares of Axis Insurance to the Vertical Insurance Group.
- Sale of shares of Concord Security to Paladin Security.
- Investment by Yellow Point Equity Partners in Foley’s Candies.
- Investment by Alder Bay Equity Partners in Canadian Alliance Terminals.
- Sale of assets of Interior Heavy Equipment Operator School to Headwater Equity Partners.
- Sale of shares of Trimlite Manufacturing to TriWest Capital Partners.
- Sale of shares of Tidal Transport to Western Stevedoring.
- Investment by Yellow Point Equity Partners in Viper Innovation.
- Investment by Alder Bay Equity Partners in Enermax Mountain Manufacturing.
- Sale of shares of Redwood Outcomes to Precision for Medicine.
- Sale of shares of Weatherhaven Global Resources to Fulcrum Capital Partners.
- Sale of assets of the Knelson Group to FLSmidth.
- Purchase of shares of a third party logistics, public warehousing, distribution, inventory management and transportation company.
- Sale of shares of a regional insurance brokerage to a strategic acquirer.
- Purchase of assets of a British Columbia-based specialty foods manufacturer and distributor.
- Purchase of shares of a precision equipment fabricator by a Vancouver-based private equity firm.
- Purchase of shares and shareholder loans of an oilfield services group of companies.
- Purchase of shares and partnership units of a Western Canadian and United States real estate development group of entities.
- Sale of assets of an international mining equipment manufacturer to a global engineering firm.
- Sale of joint venture interests in a northern Canadian diamond mine to the other joint venture parties.
- Sale of shares of a Vancouver-headquartered global manufacturing company to a leading Canadian private equity fund.
- Sale of assets of one of Canada’s largest fitness companies to a United States private equity consortium.
- Sale of shares of one of Western Canada’s largest providers of controls for the oil, gas, communications and petrochemical industries to a national strategic buyer.
- Sale of shares of a temperature control systems designer and manufacturer to a multinational public company.
- Sale of shares of an executive shareholder to one of Canada’s leading building envelope contractors.
- Sale of assets of a Vancouver-based visual effects studio to an overseas strategic buyer.
- Sale of shares of a Northern British Columbia propane supplier to an Alberta-based public company.
- Sale of assets of a large mining equipment company with operations in Canada, Peru, South Africa and Australia to a United States strategic buyer.
- Purchase of shares of a Vancouver-based insurance group.
- Sale of shares of a plastic mold injection manufacturing company to an Alberta private equity group.
- Purchase of assets and partnership interests of a manufacturer and distributor of products for the building materials industry.
- Sale of assets of a division of a leading digital media company to a rival online media firm.
- Sale of shares of a wastewater treatment company to an Alberta-based public company.
- Sale of assets of a human resources consulting firm to a multinational public company.
- Sale of shares of a British Columbia-based insurance adjuster to a national claims management company.
- Purchase of assets of a pharmaceutical supply company.
- Sale of shares of a commercial cleaning product manufacturer and distributor to a Vancouver-based private equity firm.
- Sale of shares of a transportation and civil engineering company to a national full service construction and project management company.
- Sale of a minority shareholder’s shares of a plastics manufacturer to a Vancouver-based private equity firm.
- Sale of shares of an incentive marketing company to a United States private equity group.
- Sale of shares of an independent insurance agency to a large British Columbia credit union.
- Sale of assets of an independent pharmacy business to a national consolidator.
- Sale of shares of an importer and supplier of natural resource-based products to its existing management team.
- Purchase of shares of an industrial product distribution business.
- Sale of shares of a manufacturing company supplying automated control systems to a large controls company.
- Purchase of assets of a Vancouver-based drycleaning company.