Partner – M&A | Private Equity
T 604 628 6449 E email@example.com
Year of Call: B.C. 1995 | England & Wales 1999
Nathan has over 25 years of experience assisting clients on M&A and private equity transactions.
He acts primarily for private equity funds, entrepreneurs, and management teams on transactions involving private companies. The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory lists him as Repeatedly Recommended as a leading lawyer in the area of private equity.
In addition to working on deals in Western Canada, Ontario and Quebec, Nathan also has significant international experience, advising on many Canada/US cross-border acquisitions and cross-border private equity transactions. He also worked for several years in the London, UK office of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, a leading international firm.
education & accreditation
Law Society of England & Wales (1999, currently non-practicing)
Law Society of British Columbia (1995)
British Columbia Court of Appeal, Law Clerk (1993 – 1994)
University of Victoria (LL.B., 1993)
University of Manitoba (B.A., 1990)
areas of expertise
Mergers & Acquisitions
Private Equity Fund Formation
We had the pleasure of working with Nathan and Peter on a large and fairly complex transaction. They were both very hands on and helped our client understand all the important legal issues of the purchase and sale agreement, including the pragmatic negotiation of key provisions in that agreement. They also did a great job of managing the closing process, including coordinating the collection of over 50 customer consents, to expedite the closing on a tight timeline. We would have no problem recommending them to future clients.
Partner, Capital West Partners
We at CIMS had the pleasure to work with Nathan Daniels on a major restructuring of our company from a sole owner to a Limited Partnership with a private equity investor. The process went off as promised – fixed price, timely and responsive client service and virtually stress free. We continue to work with Nathan on acquisitions. I strongly recommend his professional services – top drawer service at a fair price.
CEO, CIMS Limited Partnership
Nathan Daniels was retained by me in respect of the sale of my business. During the lengthy and somewhat arduous negotiations, I found his knowledge, experience and empathy to be of immense value. He was at all times very patient and helpful – characteristics that are much needed by laypeople such as myself. I am pleased to offer the highest recommendation for Nathan.
Former CEO & Founder, Vancouver Condominium Services Ltd.
We’ve partnered with MDS on a number of transactions, usually working with Nathan and Adam. The two work seamlessly together and form a talented and responsive team. We find their guidance on both technical and higher-level issues very useful. Highly recommended for those looking for reliable guidance in M&A transactions.
Partner, Yellow Point Equity Partners
We have had the pleasure of working with MDS since the formation of our fund five years ago and found their M&A and corporate teams to be extremely proficient, providing us practical, prompt, cost effective and experienced advice. We highly recommend MDS! Practical, prompt, cost effective, experienced and up to date on “market terms” for transactions given their high volume of M&A activities.
Managing Director, Regimen Equity Partners Inc.
- Roper Technologies, Inc., a large NYSE-listed multinational producer of electronic products on its acquisition of Phase Technology
- Premier Marine Insurance on its sale to Cooperators Insurance, a large Canadian insurance company
- Management team of Nuheat Industries, a manufacturer of electrical in-floor heating systems, on its sale to Pentair, a large multinational manufacturing company
- Trimlite Group, a manufacturer of high quality doors and door products, on a private equity transaction with TriWest Capital Partners
- Tycrop Manufacturing on the sale to CIG Logistics of its sand-handling logistics systems
- Country Prime Meats, a family-owned food company, on its sale to Premium Brands
- Fine Choice Foods, a family-owned food company, on a private equity transaction with US private equity firm Swander Pace Capital
- Kicking Horse Coffee, Canada’s largest fair trade organic coffee company, in respect of a transaction with a private equity/strategic consortium led by US private equity firm Swander Pace Capital
- VEGA, a founder-owned nutrition company, in respect of a private equity transaction with VMG Partners, a US private equity firm
- Manufacturer of enclosures for electrical systems, on a management buy-out
- Industrial services company on management buy-out
- Visual effects company on a sale to a UK competitor
- 4Refuel on a private equity investment by TorQuest Partners
- Specialty construction products company on a sale to a US private equity fund
- Industrial maintenance and construction company on a transaction with a private equity fund and then acting for the company on three subsequent strategic acquisitions
- Railway maintenance and construction company on a transaction with a private equity fund and then acting for the company on three subsequent strategic acquisitions
- Electrical services contractor focused on power transmission, distribution and generation projects, on a strategic acquisition
- Medic and safety services company on a strategic acquisition
- Building restoration company on the acquisition of two facilities restoration companies in BC
- Automobile equipment manufacturer on its sale to a US competitor
Private Equity Experience
- Fund sponsors on the formation of several private equity funds
- Nicola Wealth Management on creation of a private equity funds of funds
- A private equity fund on its investment in an automotive components supplier in Ontario
- A private equity fund on its investment in a leading manufacturer of electronic and audio systems
- A private equity fund on its investment in an online media and software application development company
- A private equity fund on its investment in an e-commerce retailer
- A private equity fund on its investment in food manufacturing company
- A private equity fund on its investment in a concrete manufacturing company
- A private equity fund on its investment in a manufacturer of industrial heating products in Manitoba
- A private equity fund on its investment in a crane manufacturing company in Alberta
- A private equity fund on its purchase of a plastics manufacturing company
- A private equity fund on its investment in an oilfield supply company in Alberta
- A private equity fund on its investment in a fencing manufacturing company in Alberta
- A private equity fund on its investment in an oilfield medical services company in Alberta
- A private equity fund on its investment in a plumbing and mechanical contractor in Alberta
- A private equity fund on its investment in an industrial services company
- Advising a co-investor on the private equity purchase of Spence Diamonds
- Advising a private equity fund on four private equity investments in private companies in British Columbia (two), Ontario and New York