Peter J. Mogan
Partner – M&A | Business Law
T 604 801 6023 E firstname.lastname@example.org
Year of Call: Ontario 1978 | B.C. 1990
Since 1978, Peter Mogan has been active as a lawyer, businessman and mediator in B.C. and Ontario. He has worked closely with his business clients as a strategic advisor bringing a practical, entrepreneurial approach, combined with a very relational style. Peter is known as a leading mid-market M&A legal advisor in British Columbia. He has also advised dozens of companies on employee ownership. He is a frequent speaker, moderator and writer on M&A, private equity and employee ownership topics.
Peter currently serves as a director or advisor to the boards of several B.C. and international companies as well as a number of not-for-profits. Peter chairs a MacKay CEO Forum Group. He is deeply involved as Vice-Chair of Food for the Hungry, a global relief and development NGO with a vision to see the end of systemic poverty. Skiing, cycling, movies and reading round out Peter’s primary interests.
education & accreditation
Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B.,1976)
Regent College (Diploma, 1990)
University of Toronto (B.A.,1973)
Directors Education Program (current)
areas of expertise
M&A and Private Equity
Strategic advisory services
Debt and equity financing
Employee share options and ownership plans
Mediation and Facilitation (including leadership development and strategic planning)
Peter Mogan is the finest business lawyer I’ve ever worked with. He is unique because he has the ability to turn complex into simple, he is incredibly responsive and efficient and he goes beyond just the law and really ‘gets it’ from a high level business perspective. I know I can always count on Peter to give me the straight goods in a timely and cost effective manner. I consider Peter a key member of our team and would highly recommend him.
President & Founder, Lyra Growth Partners Inc. | EY Entrepreneur of the Year (2014)
I have worked with Peter on several transactions. He was instrumental in helping us getting the deals across the line. Peter is a very seasoned legal counsel with practical and common sense solutions. Peter is a thorough professional and would add value to any M&A transaction no matter how complex.
Partner & National Corporate Finance Leader, Deloitte
I have worked with Peter for about 15 years, and with each of the partners and the extended team at MDS over the last few years, on a variety of legal matters including employment issues, mergers and acquisitions and private equity investments. They approach each transaction in a professional yet personal manner. With an outstanding ability to manage complex transactions and propose practical, creative solutions MDS has become an invaluable partner in my business dealings. In particular, they have helped me navigate some very challenging negotiations with their in-depth knowledge of M&A transactions and their thorough and timely advice and guidance. I highly recommend MDS.
CEO & Founder, Sunshine Pier Capital Inc. | Former CEO, Corix Group of Companies | EY Entrepreneur of the Year (2010)
For the past 22 years, Peter has been legal counsel, Board member, strategic advisor and a trusted confidante to Teldon Media Group and, since 2004, to Alive Publishing Group. Peter really gets our businesses and has always provided timely (sometimes incredibly timely), practical and high value advice. We have been through several acquisition transactions and corporate reorganizations; the MDS team always delivers great service and great results. Several of my YPO colleagues have worked with Peter as their lawyer, always with rave reviews. He is always my top business lawyer recommendation. I am proud to now call Peter a good friend.
President, Teldon Media Group & Alive Publishing Group
Over the past 10 years our company, August Corporate Partners, has experienced significant growth, mostly through acquisition. We could not have achieved the success in this area without Peter Mogan and MDS. Peter and his team provide more then legal assistance they become part of our team. I rely on Peter for opinions, advice and guidance in most corporate areas. As CEO he has become an important confidant and a good friend.
President & CEO, August Corporate Partners, Welco Lumber Ltd. & Everest Group of Companies
I was introduced to Peter Mogan and MDS at my last company where I joined as CFO. Peter was (and still is) a trusted advisor to the entrepreneur CEO on all strategic issues, including ultimately the sale of a significant portion of the business. Peter’s thoughtfulness, strategic thinking, and common-sense approach were incredibly valuable to the CEO and myself. In addition, Peter’s level of responsiveness and generosity exceeds expectations. When I transitioned to a new company, I engaged Peter and MDS immediately and have enjoyed working with Peter and the rest of the MDS team ever since across a number of projects.
CFO & Executive VP, Delta-Q Technologies
More than a decade ago we were won over by Peter’s straight talking collaborative nature, remarkable responsiveness backed by proven capability, and passion for achieving collective success. Over the years and by always starting from a place of understanding, Peter, Nathan, Ben and the team at MDS have helped us successfully navigate complex structuring challenges, create high level service agreements, complete on strategically important M&A and liquidity events, and take countless other steps to help prepare and position our business for the continuing journey forward. We highly recommend MDS.
President & CEO, TyCrop Manufacturing Ltd.
Peter Mogan provides exceptional value for the fees charged when compared with the larger legal firms. We have found Peter and his team very capable in taking on complicated transactions and completing them in tight timeframes at a very reasonable cost. Peter’s responsiveness and creativity have been extremely helpful in getting a number of complicated transactions completed when others believed that there was little hope in getting them completed in our targeted timeframe.
Chairman of the Board & Former CEO, Creation Technologies
I have worked with numerous legal firms over the past 30 years and it is rare to find lawyers as responsive as Peter Mogan. He works first to understand the business issues, and then provides practical legal advice together with useful business insights. Peter is upfront and reasonable in terms of costs. It is wonderful to work with a lawyer who is waiting for the client to respond rather than the other way round. Peter is a sharp, astute, lawyer and a trusted business advisor I readily recommend to business owners.
Chairman of the Board, Vitalus Nutrition Inc.
I’ve known Peter for many years and have sought his advice and support on our business transactions when we are in these critical periods, usually with a team or corporate lawyers on the other side and Peter representing us. He was our lawyer when selling our company to a large public company, when creating a partnership with a large European company and more recently in a similar transaction with a Canadian company. Peter quickly grasps the important principles of the deal and is great at articulating those points to other side and helping the Board understand the way forward in these complex negotiations.
Mike O’Connor, P. Eng.
President & CEO, NaiKun Wind Energy Group Inc.
Peter has assisted me with establishing companies in China, Southeast Asia and South America, and has guided me through several corporate restructurings, and partner negotiations. Recently, he has helped me sell my company to a US public issuer. Peter’s good relationship with the legal counsel of seemingly every bank in Vancouver has allowed me to complete several financings in record time without incurring excessive legal costs.
President, Advantec Group of Companies |EY Entrepreneur of the Year (2010)
We have been with Peter Mogan for 14 years. I tell many people on how our lawyer is the hardest, smartest, quickest and the best I have ever seen. He has been an integral part of our success in creating an employee owned company for over 100 Centra owners. His advice is valued.
Former CEO, Centra Windows Ltd. | EY Entrepreneur of the Year (2011)
Peter Mogan has proved to be incredibly creative in regards to business arrangements often thinking ‘outside the box’ by examining ways to bring both sides together and create a win-win outcome. He has definite strengths in the area of strategic planning and conflict resolution. We have established a relationship of trust based on sound counsel, wise and discreet input in difficult situations, and excellent value for fees charged. Without reservation, I highly recommend him.
President, Hodder Tugboat Co. Ltd.
Working with Peter for over 20 years, I have found him to be honest, creative, caring and thoughtful, intelligent, timely and very capable. I especially appreciate his listening and communication skills, wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him… He has restored my faith in lawyers.
Advisor, Nicola Wealth Management
- Acting for the sellers of Fluxwerx Illumination Inc. on a $85,000,000 share sale to Lumenpulse Inc., a TSX company (March 2016);
- Advising the owners of a major supplier to the construction industry in a divestiture to a strategic US buyer (over $100 million) (September 2014);
- Advising management on the $175 million divestiture of Garden Protein International Inc. to a public company (Pinnacle Foods) (November 2014);
- Advising management of a major financial services firm on a sale to a US-based strategic buyer with enterprise value of about $50 million (July, 2015);
- Advising the majority owner and other members of the management group on the sale of Vega to WhiteWave, an NYSE listed company for US$550 million (August 2015);
- Advising the principal shareholder and management shareholders on the sale of a national supplier of fuel management services to a US private equity firm (over $225 million) (September 2013);
- Advising the owners of a key Western Canadian constructions services company to a US strategic buyer (over $50 million) (September 2014);
- Advising the owners of a major Canadian provider of insurance services to a major North American brokerage firm (2014 Dealmaker of the Year) (March 2014);
- Advising a well-known consumer goods company on a major investment by a private equity consortium (2012 Dealmaker of the Year) (August 2012);
- Advising the seller of a manufacturing company on an asset sale to a strategic buyer (September 2010);
- Advising a Canadian health food products company on a significant investment by a US private equity firm (June 2011);
- Advising the seller on a US$160 million asset sale to a US public company buyer;
- Advising the seller in a $85 million enterprise value transaction with a major Canadian private equity firm (June 2010);
- Advising borrower on a $100 million new credit facility with a bank consortium (August 2014);
- Advising Canadian company on a private equity investment with $35 million enterprise value;
- Assisting with the sale of assets of a Canadian company with a $50+ million enterprise value;
- Advising the purchaser in a $20 million share and asset business acquisition; and
- Advising the purchaser in a $15 million corporate store purchase from a major Canadian franchise operator
Boards & directorships
- Board of Advisors – Nicola Wealth Management
- Board of Directors – BigSteelBox Corporation, a national supplier and renter of mobile storage units
- Board of Directors – Teldon Group of printing, marketing and publishing companies in North America
- Board of Advisors – Vanderpol Enterprises Inc., a family investment company
- Board of Advisors – Sandel Foods Inc., a West Coast food production company
- Board of Advisors – Vanderpol Enterprises Inc., a family-owned real estate investment company
- Board of Strategic Advisors – Promerita Capital Partners
- Corporate Secretary – Hodder Tugboat Co. Ltd., a B.C. tugboat operator
- Vice-Chair Board of Directors – Food for the Hungry International, a global relief and development charity
- Board of Directors – Faulu Microcredit Bank Limited, a Kenyan bank providing financial services to lower and middle income
- Board of Directors – Amicus Relief Solutions Inc., a developer and provider of online services in the charitable sector for the management of donor advised funds
- Board of Advisors – Regimen Equity Partners Limited Partnership, a private equity fund