Senior Counsel – M&A | Joint Ventures | Commercial Law | Private Equity
T 604 628 6719 E email@example.com
Year of Call: England & Wales 1995 | Alberta 2006 | B.C. 2018
Geoff has over 20 years experience advising on business and transactional matters including buying and selling businesses, the development and execution of complex commercial projects and joint ventures and other strategic business arrangements.
Geoff has advised clients ranging from owner-managed businesses to multi-national corporations and on deals ranging from a few million dollars to billions of dollars. He has experience across a wide range of sectors including energy and natural resources, transportation, food products, industrial manufacturing and services, technology and telecommunications.
Geoff has significant international experience having worked for many years in London, UK. Prior to moving to Vancouver Geoff was a partner in the London office of an international firm and previously worked in Calgary for two years.
education & accreditation
Oxford University (B.A., 1990)
College of Law (CPE 1992 & Law Finals 1993)
Saint Mary’s University, Halifax (M.A., 2005)
Law Society of England and Wales (1995)
Law Society of Alberta (LL.B., 2006)
Law Society of British Columbia (LL.B., 2018)
areas of expertise
Mergers & Acquisitions
Complex Commercial Projects
Complex Commercial Projects
Geoff is a great asset to have in your corner. He approaches every scenario with a calm, calculated and practical mind. His experience shined through during our work together and I would happily work with him again in the future. I've never had someone go so above and beyond in my career and it's truly a privilege having someone like him in your corner.
COO, Santevia Water Systems Inc.
Geoff is one of the smartest, most committed and most practical deal lawyers in the M&A space who also cares deeply about delivering value for clients. Having instructed Geoff for over a decade, he has demonstrated himself to be the very definition of the ‘trusted advisor’.
Assistant General Counsel Global M&A, Anti-Trust & Real Estate, BP p.l.c.
- Advising Western Canadian private-equity fund on the acquisition of a forestry related business
- Advising shareholders of a food product manufacturing and co-packing business on the sale of their company
- Advising the owners of a Western Canadian transportation company on the sale of their business
- Advising a food products business on the proposed acquisition of an organics specialty food business
- Advising the founders of a Vancouver based technology company on the sale of their business
- Advising on the sale of a British Columbia based oilfields services company
- Advising in relation to the creation of a joint venture to develop and monetize an innovative construction technology and in relation to various ongoing commercial matters
- Advising a Canadian building systems company on an add-on technology acquisition on the United States
- Advising PE buyer on management buy-out of health-care business with operations in Alberta and Ontario
- Advising on sale of telecommunications infrastructure to PE backed entity
- Advising Canadian agricultural products manufacturer on gas supply agreements for ammonia facility
- Advising Canadian gas and power utility on proposed sale of midstream assets
- Advising TSX listed junior oil and gas company on oilfield services agreement
- Advising TSX-V listed junior oil and gas company on proposed UK North Sea asset acquisition
- Advising international oil major on sale of Norwegian subsidiary to Norwegian independent oil and gas company
- Advising founder of start-up oil and gas company in relation to shareholder arrangements with other principal shareholders
- Advising Ghanaian joint venture in relation to force majeure event
- Advising two private oil and gas companies on joint venture arrangements with state-owned oil company and acquisition of interest in production sharing contracts offshore West Africa
- Advising international oil major on proposed investment and joint development agreement
- Advising consortium of shareholders on renegotiation of a production sharing contract with state oil company in a former Soviet Union jurisdiction
- Advising Canadian oil and gas company on farm-out transactions in Brazil and Peru
- Advising international oil major on establishment of a 50:50 joint venture and project agreements relating to development of a major downstream facility