Partner – M&A | Private Equity | Venture Capital | Commercial Law
T 604 678 0079 E email@example.com
Year of Call: B.C. 1998
Ben is a business lawyer with over 20 years’ experience representing clients on M&A, private equity, angel and venture capital transactions, and a host of other business law matters. Ben is also an active investor, and is currently Chair of two tech-based companies and a Co-Chair of Tiger 21 (North America’s preeminent peer learning group for successful, active entrepreneurs who are stewarding personal wealth of $10MM and greater (www.tiger21.com)).
Clients include business owners and entrepreneurs, investors (including angel investors), private and public companies, limited partnerships and trusts, venture capital and private equity funds, investment banks, governments and subordinate public agencies. Ben has practiced in the areas of information and life sciences technology, food production, power generation, transportation (including work with rail carriers, commercial ferries, airlines, shipping and bus fleets), mining, book publishing, heavy construction, manufacturing (OEM), professional services, large scale agriculture, forestry, wholesale and distribution.
As Ben is proud of saying, over the years he has worked on some of British Columbia’s largest – and some of its smallest – transactions.
education & accreditation
University of Western Ontario (B.A. Honors)
University of British Columbia (J.D., LL.B.)
areas of expertise
Mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and private equity transactions
Venture capital, including angel capital investments
Complex and unique commercial arrangements, including joint venture and development agreements, distribution agreements, licensing or royalty structures, and the settlement of complex litigation
Ben is a consensus builder. I have been involved in a number of commercial disputes on the same side of the table as Ben. In every case, he brought his unique and practical perspective to bridge diverse interests and achieve a common goal. He is engaging and pragmatic and always focussed on adding value. I would never hesitate to recommend his services.
Partner, Nathanson, Schachter & Thompson LLP
I have worked with Ben on numerous transactions and I have been impressed with his ability to see both the business and legal sides to any transaction. Ben’s quality of work is exemplary and he has always provided professional, timely service with a human touch.
I have known Ben for over eight years, and have worked with Ben both as my legal advisor and in a business capacity. I have also worked with Ben on the other side of a sensitive matter. In all of our dealings, some of which have been in difficult situations, in addition to smart legal advice, I felt Ben brought very good business instincts to the table, and a focus on the big picture, particularly when others had begun to lose theirs. I have, over time, come to appreciate Ben’s intellect, his integrity, his creativity and even - though it’s been difficult at times - his sense of humour!
Managing Director, International Client Advisor, Portfolio Manager, StennerZohny Group of Graystone Consulting, Morgan Stanley Wealth Management
Ben is a true advisor – providing leadership, advice and mentoring for both the regular ebb and flow of business and most crucially, those few instances that have materially defined my business. I fundamentally trust Ben to provide direction that maximizes my interests and minimizes my liability with both the integrity and entrepreneurial mindedness I look for in a partner.
President & Founder, Burnkit Creative Inc.
Ben was able to eliminate my fear of law firms from my experience with multi nationals by providing my legal needs with value and integrity.
I have found Ben to have a keen business sense, and an entrepreneurial spirit. This, combined with his disarming demeanour, is extremely effective in getting the deal done.
We engaged MDS to guide us through the extremely complex and stressful process of selling our business. Their experienced and talented team were invaluable in getting us to the finish line, putting together an equitable share purchase agreement that didn’t leave anything on the table. We would highly recommend MDS’ s services for anyone considering the sale of their business.
Skidmore Group has had a close working relationship with MDS for over ten years. We treat their firm like a partner at the table and value all their insight and expertise. All of our business dealings have been handled extremely well with a keen eye for detail. We are glad to have them as part of our team.
President & CEO, Skidmore Group
- Sale of an IT-based business to a large US strategic.
- Purchase of an IT-based business by a large US strategic.
- Sale of BC-based manufacturer with divisions in China, the US and the Middle East to a US strategic.
- Financing of an online cooking school, and the purchase of a bricks and mortar school.
- Financing of various start-up enterprises for high net worth (HNW) angel investors as follows: a start-up with efficiency software for wind turbines; a start-up with microneedle IP; a life sciences company using AI combined with proprietary technology for disease screening.
- Sale of large scale agricultural infrastructure for conversion to cannabis production from a BC- based operator to a large Canadian public company.
- Investment in a small, private apparel company by a very large, public apparel company.
- Purchase of various tourism-related businesses.
- Sale of a local food business to a US PE fund.
- Sale of music industry rights to a large US strategic.
- Working alongside a group of “sustainable investment” leaders in the formation of a private equity fund for high net worth investors across Canada and the United States (ongoing), and investments from the Fund throughout North America in product and food distribution and processing companies.
- Investments in, and exit from, an IT business located in Vancouver by a group of US-based “super angels”.
- Spin-out of a division to certain managers in the IT sector (acting for the purchasing managers).
- Purchase of a distressed higher education center from shareholders located around the world.
- Establishment of a NYC-based organization for ultra HNW investors in Canada.
- Sale of a new, online business to an international travel operator.
- Acquisition of distressed assets involving hundreds of franchises.
- Purchase (from Receiver) of $20 million in assets in the hothouse industry.
- Combination of two of BC’s largest forestry operators.
- Negotiations for Imperial Metals with First Nations with respect to its development of BC’s newest operating copper/gold mine in BC (negotiations spanning nine years – completed in 2016).